Sunday 21 September 2014

University Year 2 #3

Well it's been a while, but that's what to expect. 

I've been doing pretty well so far, but I can sense my classes starting to get a little out of control. I'm doing daily theory, making sure I understand whats going on each class, and I'm going to pick it up to more daily practice as well.

I haven't been able to get out of bed on Tuesdays and Thursdays (for my 8am class) consistently either so something is going to have to change there.

I really think something I still need to do is get my mind out of summer mode. I want to go shopping and buy stuff and explore and do cool things when all I really should be thinking is eat, sleep, study, gym. Maybe now that I've openly said that I'll get into the right mindset.

One last thought on that mindset though. My "want" for Christmas this year, a fitness data tracker. I watched this video on TED and this video by The Verge in the same week, and now I'm convinced I'm burning more calories than the treadmill at the gym is telling me I am. The two I'm looking at are:

  • The Jawbone UP24 is what The Verge is calling their BEST fitness tracker and by providing an entire ecosystem to track my health, sleep, diet and mood, maybe I won't have to book doctors appointments anymore. 
  • The Fitbit Flex is what I think is the second best from all the bands The Verge mentioned. It's pretty much just like the UP24, but it doesn't have the entire ecosystem. 
Just putting it out there. ("I was thinking....")

I've also been wondering about what I should do this summer. I want to get a job in Toronto (always) but it'll be much easier to find a good job here in Edmonton. 
This past week I got elected (not really) as the Second Year Representative for the University's Computer Engineering Club and since the events ran by the Club often double as recruitment sessions for employers I shouldn't have too much trouble picking up a job there, especially considering I'll be at all of them. 
But because I'm not in Toronto, it'll be much harder to find a job. I should have networked while I was there. :( 

It's been so long since I blogged I've forgotten what's happened since the last one... Let's see
  • I've started rock climbing! It's a pretty decent workout if I go hard enough a good switch up from the gym and a good stress relief from school. The routes on the wall are problems themselves, so they work my muscles without stopping my brain. I bought climbing shoes too because the shoe renting fee would have piled up quick. 
  • I finally got a new laptop. There's an excellent deal at the Microsoft Store right now, $100 off any purchase above $500. And on top of it I got my year-round 10% student discount. I was able to buy their ASUS TP300L, an $800 guy but I got it for only $650. Before I bought it I tested out the $600 laptop they had on display, big difference. On boot-up when prompted to name the PC I went to Wu Tang Clan Name Generator and put in "ASUS TP300L" and it came out with "Lucky Criminal". So that's the name of my laptop. 
  • My Computer Science prof made me buy a new Arduino from them this past week as well since the Uno that my cousin sent me isn't powerful enough. It cost as much as a textbook. 
If you've noticed the trend of those last three points are that I'm spending money then you must be brown. We're too cheap for this world! That's okay though, other than tuition now the big spending stops here!!

I don't think I'll update this as frequently these days. I like making blogs worthwhile, and since I don't really have a lot of free time this'll have to do. 

Innovating Life
~ASKalburgi