Tuesday 15 July 2014

Summer 2014 - Day Seventyone

I'm starting to reconsider the blog a day. There isn't enough enthusiasm these days #grinddays

Today I got some super bad news that isn't that bad, but it's super bad on my pride.

Today all the engineers got their disciplines. I didn't get the one I wanted.

I wanted Computer Engineering: Software Option (Co-op) 
But I got Computer Engineering: Traditional

#bigdifference

In Software Coop I'd be getting the universities support for finding jobs and putting me out in the work force and I'd also be getting more knowledge in the various software fields.

In Traditional Comp I'll get more knowledge on computers in general (not just software) and will miss out on the extra software stuff. Mostly likely that would be backend stuff like databases, lots of stuff to know in backend. I also won't get the support of the university to find jobs, but I'll finish a year sooner.

In software there are four branches I'd like for myself in order
  • Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
  • Sensor Reading and robotics
  • Web and Mobile Development
  • Graphics

My current summer job is in Web and Mobile Development, without coop and additional software courses I may find difficulty switching branches. This is due to the way the developer market is. Simply put, software companies typically don't hire developers trying to diversify. As students, they'd prefer to hire people with the most experience in what the company needs. No matter how much of an expert I am in web and mobile, the machine learning guys would rather hire a no experience guy over me. That's just how the market is. Developers that do one thing great is better than a develop that does many things good. The industry doesn't consider growth. 

Hopefully this explains why Software Coop was more important to me. Software Coop would have taught me a lot more of what I need to know for machine learning and AI and would also help me switch between the branches when it comes to finding a job in the summers. 

Now to explain why Traditional Coop is just as good (I still need to convince myself). 


  1. Honestly, this is the first time in my life that I've actually fallen. I've come so close, so many times but just squeezed through. I remember in Grade 10 my parents and I were worried I wouldn't get honors and all three of our faces were so relived when we got the letter. I remember just last summer when my university application was still pending, I hadn't applied to any other university and I started doubting my grades (I always perform lesser than I'm worth) but then I finally got the final acceptance. And the same story this summer, I've been waiting for that website to tell me I got Computer Engineering: Software Coop for over 5 months now. There was no relief this time.

    Falling is hard. But learning to pick yourself up is harder.
    "What hurts more, the pain of hard work or the pain of regret? "Definitely the pain of regret, every time.

    So this is a lesson. A lesson that the ideals behind #innovatinglife need to be acted out harder.
  2. With Traditional Comp I'll get more hardware, which will be needed when for your second branch (sensor reading and robotics).
    Yeah it's true, I'm not swapping out learning all that juicy potential big data programming for nothing. In fact I'm not switching it out for something bad at all. It's just that it's going to be really painful going through a few mechanical classes about friction. It's something that I'm really not interested in.

    (be positive!).

    But with a more diverse course load (and I think a lighter one too) I get to go to class with a larger variety of people! That's truly nice!
I only have two for now. Truth is I'm really bummed out about this. And I know I shouldn't be concerned what other people think, but I've been telling everyone that I'm in coop for the last few months. So, oops. 

Innovating Life
~ASKalburgi