Tuesday 2 September 2014

University Year 2 #1

So today I tried to cook and upon realising I had no experience I got really stressed out.

I'm going to have to take my time and be patient with it.

Orientation today was nice, there was some good advise. #rhymingaccidentally

There was one excellent speaker who was a former Electrical Engg. He was saying that 2nd year is a lot of theory and not a lot of hands-on, and that if we relate everything to the real world it'll be easier to get through.
He also talked about getting jobs. telling us to go to every career fair and Eng event and network your butt off. And that there's the Engineering Employment Center, which basically helps student get jobs. He was telling us how good their resume touch-ups are, I'm going to inquire more about it tomorrow.
The speaker also had a really good breakdown of how types of Engineers fair out in the real world. He took several categories of life: GPA, Volunteering, Networks, and Personal Projects. And took several famous celebs: Elon Musk, Stephan Hawking, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Robert Downy Junior and Justin Bieber. From these, made a table. He guessed that Musk would be a topper in all the categories, Hawking would top in GPA, but fail everything else, Tyson would get moderately good in everything except personal projects, Downy wouldn't do great in GPA but excellent in volunteering, projects and network, and Bieber would just survive the GPA and fail everything else except the network where he'd get a solid 3.5. What's interesting is that he said employers see Tyson and Downy on the same level. Which is really great for me, because it means I have more wiggle room and can make up for a sorry GPA. He also mentioned that even if you're Bieber you can get somewhere and that he knows an example of it.

The Comp E Alum mainly hyped up Comp Eng Club. which looked like a great chance to network with peers and employers. I think I'm going to try and get involved in that one. He was also mentioning to do a lot of personal projects because that's what is really pops out.

Good things to know going forward.

Additionally, I may have found someone to sublet my room this summer, Toronto here I (maybe) come.

Innovating Life
~ASKalburgi